Farmers' Market Grand Opening is Saturday, June 23
Families around the country are rediscovering the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats and cheeses through Farmers Markets and CSA’s (Community Supported Agriculture) “cropping” up in almost every town. Not only is it a fun and delicious outing that supports local businesses but the benefits of fresh, local foods are numerous. Did you know…
• Locally grown food retains more nutrients than food that is shipped distances
• Supporting local farms ensures the retention of green spaces that help to recharge our aquifers and clean the air
• A local food network reduces gasoline use and the community’s carbon footprint
• In the State of Maryland, if every household purchased just $12 worth of farm products for eight weeks (basically the summer season), over $200 million would be put back into the pockets of its farmers.
• When you support local farmers, a higher percentage of your spending stays right here in the community.
From a local farm bringing us honey sited on one of the original Charles County settlements (Keep ‘Em Buzzing Apiary and Honey Bee Farm) to one of many of our farms that is devoted to sustainable practices to ensure generations to come will enjoy its yield (Zekiah Farms), the St. Charles Farmer’s Market is devoted to bringing the best that Charles County has to offer to its residents.
The St. Charles Farmers Market is open every Wednesday afternoon, Friday afternoon and evening and Saturday mornings is a “producers only” market, meaning a market that does not offer agricultural products that are commercially made, created, or produced, and only allows agricultural products that are grown, baked, raised, prepared by a local farmer. The St. Charles Farmers Market this year combined with the Festival Market in Waldorf for an even broader selection of locally grown foods and goods.
- Locally raised meats
- Local cheeses
- Flowers of all kinds
- Garden plants and herbs
- Seven fresh produce vendors
- Goat milk and herbal soaps
- Farm fresh eggs
- Hand crafted honey
- Pastries and desserts
Join us this Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. for entertainment, cooking demonstrations, hot dogs and balloons, and much more. We’ll see you at the market!