The beach towels and sand pails have been put away. School buses are rolling. Parents and teachers are already feeling exhausted just weeks into the school year. Why not break away from weekday routines and bring your family to the Charles County Fairground this weekend? Make memories as a family and enjoy the sights, tastes, and even smells of the Charles County Fair. The fair is located in La Plata and features entertainment, rides, a rodeo, craft and food vendors and much more.
- Thursday: 4-H Livestock Skillathon Contest, Dairy Goat Shows
- Friday: Children’s Day at the fair with free admission for all school aged children (Sponsored by Chik-Fil-A), Jump with Jill, 4-H Livestock Skillathon, Sheep Shearing Demon, Lawnmower Races
- Saturday: Baby Show, Livestock Show and Auction, Horse Pull, Pie Eating Contest
- Sunday: Family Day, Sheep Show, 4-H Awards
My Favorite Picks
As a mom of young children here are some of my favorite parts of the fair:
Carnival Midway - Enjoy rides of all ages, including a separate kiddie midway near the South Gate. A petting zoo is located in the kiddie area as well, which is fun for kids big and small.
Food - Let’s face it, one of the best parts about a fair is the wide array of food vendors. From pizza to crab cakes, the Charles County Fair is sure to make your belly happy. My kids of course love the cotton candy and candy apples.
Music - My boys love live music just as much as I do. This year the fair has a wide variety of performers located at the main stage, food court tent and the Greens area. Be sure to check out the full Printable Fairground Map and Schedule for more information.
Pig Races - There is something so silly and cute about little pigs racing around a track. If you have kids, don’t miss this event!
Model Train Display - Enjoy the tiny towns and greenery of a large model train display, which was new to the fair last year and back again for 2014.
- The fair runs from Thursday September 11 th to Sunday September 14th. Admission for ages 11 and up is $5.00 and children 10 and under are free.
- Parking is free and there is also a complimentary shuttle to and from the fairgrounds located at the Charles County Courthouse and Government building (12:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Friday/Saturday and 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Sunday every 15 to 30 minutes).
- The proceeds of the fair go directly back into the community to host the annual 4th of July fireworks and other events, such as the tractor pull, lobster feast, and dog shows.
About the author
Mindi is a working mom with three boys ages 5, 3, and 1. She is a Speech-Language Pathologist at a local elementary school. When she isn't helping children grow their speech and language skills, she blogs about life as a working mom at Simply Stavish and writes about toddler and preschool topics at Everyday Family. She also is a lifestyle photographer in the Southern MD/DC Metro area. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.